November 27, 2011

Fence wars...


Most fencing disputes are between neighbours. But here on Chambers, a rather heated disagreement is bubbling away between Farmer Joe and myself about our front fence. For the last twelve months we've been 'discussing' the removal of this fence which currently separates our front lawn from the farm driveway. To summarise the key arguments...

Farmer Joe's position:
1. The fence is perfectly practical and in good condition (or at least it was, until Farmer Joe dropped a giant hay bale on it last week).
2. The fence is necessary to move sheep past the house without them destroying the lawn.
3. Removing a fence is a huge amount of work, and we have lots of other priorities at the moment.

B's position:
1. It's a chicken wire rabbit-proof fence.
2. It is the first thing visitors see when they pull into the farm driveway.
2. It disrupts the view from the living room, entrance, master bedroom and study.
3. I'm pouring every little bit of money, time and energy I have into trying to make this house nice. That fence kind of undermines my efforts...
4. It's a chicken wire rabbit-proof fence.

Finally, out of sheer frustration, I may have threatened to hire workers to remove the fence while Farmer Joe was out at work.


So, with martial harmony very much on the line, I'm throwing this one into the blogosphere. Here are some images of the fence. I'm open to all suggestions. If you think it absolutely has to go, if you don't mind it, or if you have an idea of how I could disguise or alter it, I would love to hear from you!

B.x

7 comments:

  1. I don't think it's as bad as you think it is B :)

    I'm on Mr Practical's side when it comes to this fence. Sorry :(

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh B unfortunately what's left of the farm girl inside me has to side with farmer J in regards to the practicality of keeping sheepies off your lawn and having taken down fencing before, is a painful experience!! I don't think it looks bad at all, nor believes it undermines your fabulous efforts on the rest of your efforts on chambers! perhaps you should white wash the fence posts and pass it off as a widely spaced white picket fence?

    ReplyDelete
  3. as an ex-farmer's wife, i so know this argument. (Just get the loader and chain the posts up to it, lift the bucket striaght up and they pop right out!! speaking from experience with the same issue : )

    good luck! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does sound like the fence has a practical use. If you removed it, would you want to replace it later, or leave the space open?

    I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest hedging in front/behind the fence... (Don't hate me!) So then, it still keeps the sheep off the lawn, but looks pretty. Perhaps as the hedge grows, you could remove the fence altogether?

    I feel your pain, but I guess, if you need it, you just have to make it look as lovely as possible...

    M
    xxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, I think I'm losing this one. Might have to start researching hedging options...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dont think it looks as bad as you think. Honestly. It kinda reminds me of a emu wire fencing. Could you spray it white and keep it for practical reasons? I have an ugly side fence at my house and so we planted a lilly pilly hedge. Took a few years but the fence is now gone from view. You could even plant some rambling roses alongside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would probably keep it if it keeps the sheep off your lawn but perhaps plant a creeping plant to grow all over it, like star jasmine or potato vine, they grow fast & get pretty little flowers!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thank you!