Most fencing disputes are between neighbours. But here on Chambers, a rather heated disagreement is bubbling away between Farmer Joe and myself about our front fence. For the last twelve months we've been 'discussing' the removal of this fence which currently separates our front lawn from the farm driveway. To summarise the key arguments...
Farmer Joe's position:
1. The fence is perfectly practical and in good condition (or at least it was, until Farmer Joe dropped a giant hay bale on it last week).
2. The fence is necessary to move sheep past the house without them destroying the lawn.
3. Removing a fence is a huge amount of work, and we have lots of other priorities at the moment.
1. It's a chicken wire rabbit-proof fence.
2. It is the first thing visitors see when they pull into the farm driveway.
2. It disrupts the view from the living room, entrance, master bedroom and study.
3. I'm pouring every little bit of money, time and energy I have into trying to make this house nice. That fence kind of undermines my efforts...
4. It's a chicken wire rabbit-proof fence.
Finally, out of sheer frustration, I may have threatened to hire workers to remove the fence while Farmer Joe was out at work.
So, with martial harmony very much on the line, I'm throwing this one into the blogosphere. Here are some images of the fence. I'm open to all suggestions. If you think it absolutely has to go, if you don't mind it, or if you have an idea of how I could disguise or alter it, I would love to hear from you!