January 12, 2012

The Awkward Spot

Now that the main bedroom is under control (and I am excitedly awaiting the arrival of my new pieces), I've turned my attention to the entrance. The oil landscape I commissioned is expected to arrive soon (from Jennifer Shears on Etsy), and I've added a mixture of traditional black and modern white picture frames to the antique entrance table. Now I'm left with a very awkward empty spot - the corner between the entrance table and the front door...


Because of the very heavy timber pieces in the entrance, I need a little something that will lighten and modernize the space. I'd like a sense of playfulness too. I've found two upholstered pieces and I'm completely torn between them...


The Bordeaux Ottoman from Interiors Online would be reupholstered in the beige and linen chevron shown. The other option is the West Elm Essex Bench which comes in a lovely grey and flax ikat (and is on sale with half price shipping). The entrance is directly at the rear of our living room, so all the fabrics need to be complementary. As a reminder, we've got red ticking and damask and linen tones, with splashes of black and white stripe...


So I'd love to hear again from all of you lovely creative bloggers - which would you choose?

B.x

18 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed with the Essex bench from West Elm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh everything is so lovely, such a difficult decision...I love the second one from west elm myself. Cant wait to see what you choose. Looking forward to the unveiling of your bedhead when it arrives!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of them *shy*

    I would probably prefer the west elm one if it had white legs.

    But... difficult choice... I would probably base it on price as they are both beautiful!

    Let us know what you decide :)

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't believe it B, they are almost exactly the same price!

      Delete
  4. By the way, I love love love your entrance table and everything that's on it <3

    B

    ReplyDelete
  5. 100% the essex bench loved it instantly! N.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just to throw a little curve, I'd pick the Bordeaux ottoman for its size...love that it's not quite as heavy as the bench, and I like the light colored legs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the Essex bench - I'm always drawn to patterned fabric. Love your big entrance table, and those black & white cushions. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too love the Essex one. And I'm in love with the hall table. I'd love to find something with character like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. B, I need to know where you purchase your beautiful timber furniture from because I want in on it! My vote for the awkward space goes hands down to the essex bench. The legs and the fabric are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meghan! I'm afraid that both are antiques. The entrance table (workbench) was from an Adelaide store called Some Days are Diamonds, and the Scandinavian bench was from a closing down sale at an antique store in Castlemaine. Sorry that's not much help!

      Delete
  10. Gosh B, you already have some fabulous furniture there. Decisions, decisions - I think I like the West Elm too, though both are very cute and will fit perfectly :)

    Abbey x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd go for the Bordeaux.... I think the chevron would go nicely- scale-wise with your other fabrics( which I love). And the light colored legs of the Bordeaux plays well with the mirror. Can't wait to see which one you choose and see the new oil painting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Ottoman such a classic piece to have in your home!
    Good luck with your decision!

    Abigail x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I vote for the West Elm bench - great piece of furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the Essex bench - the style is well matched with the hall stand.
    Just got back from my summer holidays so popping by to wish you a Happy New Year & I hope all your dreams come true in 2012
    x
    Melissah

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the essex bench, but I'd have to go the Bordeaux to match in the delicate nature of the bench opposite (ie the one under the painting) and to contrast with the heavy bench. That said, reupholstering in say a stronger/patterned fabric would do just the trick! Can't wait to see how far it's all come next time we're over! a visit might be in order in the coming months to see all you've done with the place - and maybe even get on those hoses one of these days! haha! Also, I think blog land needs to meet Happy and Mani.
    xxC

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't decide - I like the length and size of the West Elm piece, but the traditional feel and delicacy of the ottoman. That was helpful wasn't it? Loving all your updates, I don't know why they haven't been coming up in my blog feed so I can weight in!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thank you!