March 6, 2012

Maps, Nautical Charts and Street Directories...

via pinterest

While Farmer Joe is tackling the finer details of installing new lawn over an old septic tank, I thought I'd spend a moment on a classic favourite... decorating with maps and nautical charts. I love the versatility of maps in an interior space, looking equally at home in a British colonial study or a modern beach house. How do you like your maps?
Traditional?...

decorpad

India Hicks

decorpad

casa sugar

Oversized and bold?...

casa sugar

elle decor

decorpad

Or featured on a fabulous wallpaper for maximum impact?...

houzz.com

decorpad

decorpad

Here on Chambers, I've tried a little twist on the trend and framed pages from a 1950's vintage Adelaide street directory for our dining room. I love them because they reflect the city I grew up in, and are always a conversation starter for dinner guests...



8 comments:

  1. Next to photos, maps are my favourite things to hang on walls. I am currently working on putting together all our tourist street maps from our various European trips to make a gallery wall so this inspiration is just what I needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea Meghan, I hope we get to see it when it's done!

      Delete
  2. Brooke, I love bringing a little bit of real personal history into the house. Your framed street directories look a.mazing!

    M
    xxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the bathroom with the map wallpaper. gorgeous what you have done at your place with some 'home grown maps' as well! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How gorgeous! Where on earth did you find the old street directory? I love it when a piece of art has meaning, a story behind it. Not just because it looks good or is 'on trend' x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate! One Rundle Trading has a complete 1950's Adelaide street directory that you can buy pages from. Last time I saw it, it was tucked under a table in their 'men's room'. Worth a look through (although Farmer Joe and I snagged some of the best CBD pages!).

      Delete
  5. I really love maps as art too..... especially when they reference the home or homeowner like your do..... great display.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look fabulous. Love a map wallpaper in a boy's bedroom. And also great if the area has significant meaning to you. xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thank you!