March 14, 2012

When an idea comes around a second time...

image via pinterest

Those of you who have been following for a while may remember the saga of the kitchen light (first posted here). First, I was inspired by images of oversized kitchen lanterns and decided to reproduce a similar look here on Chambers. Then, I realised that the Australian lighting market was actually very limited and went hunting for alternatives. Finally, I settled on a pendant light that was a long way from my original inspiration, and ended up with this...


Needless to say, less than a week after being installed, the light was pulled out again. (Lesson learned: Never settle for safe and neutral when you are actually looking for a statement piece with impact). After that I was thoroughly disheartened and gave up on the idea all together.

Then, during a stroll through Pinterest yesterday, I came across this image of Holly Mathis' (of Holly Mathis Interiors) dining room...

Holly Mathis

And instantly my oversized lantern idea was back on the agenda. The Pottery Barn light featured in Holly's dining room is no longer in stock, so some enthusiastic googling lead me to this...

Lauren Liess Interiors

...the office of Interior Designer Lauren Liess, featuring the Mossoro lantern from Bellacor. And (Jackpot!) they ship internationally. Here she is...

via Bellacor

I would have to repaint the lantern in a matt black. But after my first failed attempt I'm a little gun shy, especially considering the international shipping costs. What do you think? Is this one worth the risk to get some 'Wow' in my kitchen?

15 comments:

  1. What about using a spray can (good quality one from repco that is heat proof) instead of a gun?

    Have you checked amazon?

    Nowhere near as nice as the one you found but here are some I found:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014HOEX2/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=lamps-light&psc=1
    http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Lighting-Covington-One-Light-Chain-Hung/dp/B000HBGG96/ref=sr_1_151?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1331698383&sr=1-151
    http://www.amazon.com/Nuvo-60-993-Textured-Hanging/dp/B001GN58LQ/ref=sr_1_77?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1331698341&sr=1-77
    http://www.amazon.com/Progress-Lighting-P5597-31-Three-Light-Textured/dp/B0013CPRKC/ref=sr_1_37?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1331698252&sr=1-37

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke, was it your cabinet maker who installed kitchen knobs in wrong position? If so, did they end up replacing the doors, and if so did you have to pay for the costs?

    Your cabinetry looks stunning <3

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi B! Yep, we replaced all the drawer fronts. It was our builder who put the knobs in the wrong position. He offered to pay for the replacements, but because he is a friend of ours (and Farmer Joe's instructions should have been clearer), we ended up going halves in the cost. All sorted now!

      Delete
  3. Yes, lighting options here in Aus is the bane of my existence! If I wanted an oversized lantern I would buy from this company Phillip Kent lighting. They are really big!! Your option looks pretty good though! Can't wait to see it put up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous suggestion Laura! This site could keep me busy for a while...

      Delete
  4. If you think it is the one that will make your heart sing, then go for it, Brooke. I guess there is still the re-wiring costs to consider as well, though.

    What about this one of A-M's - is it too straight lined and industrial? The Industrial Pendant Light at http://www.capecoddesigns.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  5. do it, do it! i wanted to do it in my last place when i re did the kitchen but the ceilings were wayyyy too low. Have you looked at cape cod designs at all? - http://capecoddesigns.com.au/ A-M has the best things! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brooke! Speak to A-M of Cape Cod Designs (and the House the A-M Built) - she has access to some BEAUTIFUL lights and even if she doesn't have what you want, I'm sure she could source it for you xo

    http://thehousethata-mbuilt.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  7. This link is better!

    http://capecoddesigns.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant! You're a girl after my own heart - it's amazing what you can do and find on the internet. Good hunting. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm tough one B. They are very lovely and will fit right in at chambers :)

    Abbey x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I discovered this lantern while at the High Point Market: http://www.noirfurniturela.com/product/details/LAMP313?category=Lighting

    I was considering it for my new mud room. I think you will really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes do it! I agree never settle for second best, although I do love the first light I hope you have found somewhere else to hang it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much ladies! I'm madly following all your links right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous! Just discovered your blog and love it! I'm your newest follower! I just started my blog three weeks ago and would love for you to check it out and follow me back if you like what you see!

    xx
    Kecia

    http://www.couturezooblog.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thank you!