July 20, 2012

A (long awaited) kitchen chandelier...


After almost a year of blogging my search for a kitchen feature light, we finally have something in place that we're actually happy with! A quick recap - first I couldn't source what I wanted in Australia, then I bought a pendant and hated it when it was hung, then I found an orb chandelier that I loved, but it arrived with a very strange brown splotchy finish (like this...)


But when the retailer offered it to me at cost price, I decided to take a risk and try respraying it myself. Farmer Joe hung the light in the hay shed for spraying...


Apparently anything involving spray cans is farmer's work, because I wasn't allowed anywhere near the light while it was being undercoated...

If you look very closely, Farmer Joe's top is inside out. He just isn't a morning person...
...or when it was being top-coated (with Dulux Whisper White). This was our first time using a spray unit, and I would highly recommend buying one. Just a few tips - buy a good quality unit, be sure to dilute the paint correctly, and always do a few quick sprays before aiming at your target to clear blockages. We 'borrowed' a young apprentice electrician who was doing some work on the farm power lines, and we finally had a light!





Notice how I've avoided showing the entire right side of the kitchen? That's because we STILL haven't replaced the old brown aluminium window! Just waiting for the weather to warm up a little...

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful - love it. You would never think you have had all these dramas. I do wish my DH thought anything involving a spray can was man's work. You have a lovely farmer there:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fabulous! well done!Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Now you'll be spraying everything you can get your hands on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect! With regard spray painting - I say let the man do it if he wants to!!!

    M
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous Brooke - well done, and it looks perfect in your kitchen x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it Brooke. How disappointing that it came all brown and blotchy! But just stunning in white so perhaps it was meant to be? Love how farmers are so capable of fixing anything, mine is out planting trees down the driveway. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it looks so much better white. I'm surprised Farmer Joe's not a morning person, I thought farmers were all up at the crack of dawn - but, I'm a city chick, so what do I know ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. A common myth, but only true for dairy farmers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous as usual! It's a real statement piece. P.S - I am also coveting your beautiful range!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a beautiful light. So crisp in white and how clever you and Farmer Joe are to do that. Fx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thank you!