November 20, 2013

Road-testing Annie Sloan Chalk Paint


I've had a few furniture repainting projects sitting on the 'to do' list for a while now. Dreading the idea of sanding and priming all that polished timber, I was intrigued to discover Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. Chalk Paint (totally unrelated to blackboards, the 'chalk' is a reference to the finish), reportedly paints straight over most surfaces, without any prep work required. So I thought I'd try a little road test. Here's how I went...


The piece in need of painting was a side table chewed on by a much younger Georgia the Corgi. Highly polished and with a reasonably dark stain, I thought it would a good test of the Chalk Paint claims. After a quick dusting, I applied the paint straight on the timber (shown below on a rocking chair, another project I've now got underway)...


The paint has a very different texture to anything I've used before. It has quite a dry, chalky consistency and can be worked very easily. It also dries extremely quickly. I found that I only needed to leave it for ten minutes before re-coating. Here's the side table after one coat...


The brush marks were a little more prominent than I would have liked, so I thinned the paint for the second coat (as easy as stirring in some water). To finish, I rubbed in some Annie Sloan Bees' Wax (as recommended), and Farmer Joe fixed a new ceramic knob from Provincial Home Living...


And voila!...


My rejuvenated side table has a new life in the guest bedroom. I am so impressed with Chalk Paint that I've already started work on a pair of second hand rocking chairs recently acquired by Farmer Joe.

If anyone is looking for Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, I bought mine online from Brocante in the Barossa. They offered wonderful service, with the paint arriving promptly along with detailed instructions and a lovely hand-written note.

Happy Painting!

4 comments:

  1. Ohh wow! Fabulous post. I have been uber intrigued with this paint range. (I kinda thought it was related to black board paint, but had doubts) Thanks for clearing that up. I have a chest very similar to the one you've featured that needs painting. If only I could pick a colour. But I think I will try the paint too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realise that Annie Sloan could be painted with sanding, very intriguing! What did you think of the finished product - is it durable enough? I tend to gravitate toward glossy finishes on painted furniture, but I can definitely think of a few pieces that could look lovely in this matt finish. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna! Once the bees wax is applied the piece takes up to 21 days to fully cure - it's a little soft before this but seems durable enough when finished. I was very pleased and found the matt finish to be quite lovely.

      Delete
  3. WOW! it looks fantastic. Im seeing these chalk paints pop up all over the aussie blogs, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thank you!